Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Modern Christian Writer’s Take on Christmas

To conclude this series of posts on our modern approach to Christmas, I wanted to share one final perspective on this topic.  It comes from Relevant magazine. 

I’ve written before that the magazine’s target demographic is young adult Christians, so I enjoy reading it but always feel a little old and particularly un-hip when I do so.  Nonetheless, I appreciate the thrust of the magazine: the struggle to make one’s Christian faith “relevant” in the modern world.  The writers and readers of the magazine don't want to live in a cloistered setting isolated with other Christians.  Instead they want to bring Christ's message of love, hope, redemption and reconciliation to humankind in order to foster joy and peace.  To me, the articles exemplify the aspiration to be “in this world, but not of this world” and to be the hands and feet of Jesus to hurting people.  I admire the passion, the reflection and the determination of the voices represented in the pages of Relevant magazine.

In that vein, the article below exemplifies a modern Christian’s struggle to find meaning in the secularized, exploited holiday that Christmas has become. 







John 17:14–15

I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.

No comments:

Post a Comment